JW Foster was first appointed to a 9-month term as an interim City Council member in 2001. He then served on the Yelm Planning Commission from 2002 until he was elected to the Yelm City Council in 2011. Re-elected to Council in 2015, he was appointed by the Council to serve as interim Mayor in August of 2016 and was elected by the voters to a full 4-year term in 2017. JW and wife Nicki have lived in Yelm since 1996 when JW took on the job of creating the career side of the Yelm Fire Department, bringing the first Medic One Paramedic Unit to town that year. Although he then went on to other challenges in his 34-year career as a firefighter/paramedic, he and Nicki raised their four children here and have always been involved in supporting the schools and community organizations. They share a passion for the environment and have volunteered for many years with the Nisqually Land Trust, with JW serving on the Board of Directors for nine years. Yelm has been a great home for JW and Nicki and their family and, as Mayor, JW has been dedicated to keeping Yelm a safe, healthy, happy home for all.
Committee Assignments and Regional Involvement:
· Yelm Public Safety Committee
· Yelm Public Services Committee
· Yelm Finance Committee
· Chair - Thurston Regional Planning Council
· Member - Regional Housing Council
· Member - South Sound Military and Community Partnership, Elected Officials Council
· Chair – Yelm Community Schools General Advisory Committee on Career and Technical Ed.
· Board Member – Risk Management Services Agency (Assoc. of Wa. Cities Insurance Pool)